Core of the Core
This discussion group is intended for alumni who miss the analysis and stimulation of classes like “Poetry and the Human”.
This discussion group is intended for alumni who miss the analysis and stimulation of classes like Poetry and the Human and the timeless works encountered there. It is a cross between a class and a book club, where members of the group read great compositions and related works and gather together to exchange insights and thoughts.
The group began meeting in March 2018, and read works from the Human Being and Citizen classes in the first two series, starting with The Iliad and ending with Kafka’s “Before the Law."
The readings for the 5/19 gathering are:
- Langston Hughes: “The negro speaks of rivers”
- Gwendolyn Brooks: “Boy breaking glass.”
- Adrienne Rich: “Tonight no poetry will serve”
- Audre Lorde: “Poetry is not a luxury”
- Vladimir Mayakovsky: “Love”, “Conversation with a taxman about poetry”, “At the top of my voice”
- Aime Cesaire: “In the Guise of a Literary Manifesto”, “Keeping Poetry Alive”
- Slavoj Zizek: “The Poetic Torture-House of Language”