Alumni Club Board of Directors Leadership Opportunities: APPLY NOW!
Want to get involved with the Alumni Club of New York City? We are now accepting nominations for open positions on the Board of Directors!
The Alumni Club of NYC Board of Directors is currently accepting applications for the positions of President, Vice President, Communications Co-Chair, Engagement and Outreach Co-Chair, and board members at large. Candidates should be thoughtful, creative, engaged with the UChicago community, and strongly committed to strengthening ties among alumni in the New York City area and with the University. Alumni, parents and friends of UChicago in the New York City area are considered members of the Club. Any member in the New York City area may nominate another member, or him-or herself, to serve as a director. The term begins on July 1, 2018. Candidates will be selected and notified in June.
Application period closes at midnight on June 6, 2018.
If you have any questions, have issues accessing the application, or would like any additional information, please contact the Alumni Club's President, Dalita Balassanian, AB’01, or staff liaison, Mari Meyer.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for alumni in the region who are looking to learn more about the local UChicago community and to connect with the alumni network
- Serve as the primary point of contact for faculty or staff traveling to or developing programs in the region; this includes Alumni Association and development staff but may also include staff from Career Advancement, Admissions, academic divisions, or other campus offices
- Establish a presence through regular networking and maintain relationships with key alumni, parents, families, and friends in the region
- Recruit and lead club/group volunteers
- Lead by example in extolling the values of making an annual participation gift and work with existing volunteers to ensure 100 percent giving participation.
- In consultation with Alumni Association staff and board volunteers, develop strategic goals with short-, mid-, and long-term milestones. Goals should reflect a balance between University priorities and uniquely local interest and affinity
- Oversee recruitment of volunteers and (if applicable) board members, maintaining a clear pipeline of prospective volunteers to fill future openings
- Convene and lead board meetings
- Ensure all volunteers are well informed of UChicago happenings in the region.
- Maintain consistent and clear communications with Alumni Association staff.
- Ensure diverse and thoughtful programming of events that appeals to a wide array of alumni, including but not limited to younger alumni gatherings, family programs, career-oriented events, and division- and school-specific programming (e.g., Harris Public Policy, Humanities Division).
- Follow Alumni Association guidelines for planning and hosting events, especially in regard to reporting attendance lists afterward.
- Assist the president in furthering the goals of the club/group and act in the absence of the president
- Foster and develop leadership among the directors
- Build an implementation plan for the president’s strategy, especially regarding volunteer recruitment and board member training and retention
- Serves as the primary administrator of the UChicago Alumni Club website, University of Chicago Community Online (UCCO) (including, but not limited to, the website and Facebook page).
o Uploading event information onto the website.
o Uploading photos and documents to the website.
o Updating the Facebook page to reflect upcoming events.
o Coordinating regular newsletter distribution through website.
- Sends announcements of upcoming board meetings to club officers and board members
- Takes minutes of all Board meetings and sends them to Board members and to the Alumni Association liaison
- Coordinates with program chairs to support social media outreach/marketing
- Works with club president to submit annual report to the Alumni Association
- Engaging with alumni who are interested in being involved with the University of Chicago Alumni Club of NYC and being the initial point of contact for interested volunteers or leads from the Alumni Association.
- Attending events to encourage attendees to get more involved, such as signature events and other special club programs, serving as ambassadors and the “faces” of the board for new attendees and for community members to identify.
- Speaking at events to make attendees aware of opportunities to engage with the Alumni Association.
- Reaching out to alumni to encourage involvement by overseeing outreach initiatives such as “Welcome to the Neighborhood” or other community-wide engagement efforts on behalf of the Club or University.
- Liaising between volunteers with event ideas and Programming Chairs to make for an easy and seamless way for volunteers to get involved in club activities.
Board members at large
- Serve as a resource in identifying volunteers, regional contacts, potential board members, and other alumni volunteers based on current needs and priorities
- Support fellow board members as necessary with strategic advisory support and management of the various committees
- Support alumni opportunities such as volunteering, affinity groups, local events and University-led signature events
- Attends events and is a committed University ambassador